To teach students the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to safely and successfully hunt.
Texas Hunter Education is a ten-hour class taught over at least two days. It covers Hunter Education history and methods, Know your hunting equipment, modern firearms, basic shooting skills, basic hunting skills, primitive hunting methods, being a safe hunter, being a responsible and ethical hunter, preparation and survival skills, and wildlife conservation.
Completion of the course requires participation in all ten class hours, passing the course exam with a score of at least 70%, and maintenance of a proper attitude.
We assign homework. Completing it will pay off at exam time.
The minimum age for certificaton is nine years old. However, parents shoud consider whether their particular child is capable of maintaining for ten class hours in an adult learning environment. We recommend twelve as a more realistic age. We encourage parents of younger children to sit through the class with them. (Or take the course.) Students who need help taking the exam should contact the instructor.
Students completing the class recieve a lifetime Hunter Education card that is valid anywhere in North America.
Every Texas hunter (including out-of-state hunters) born on or after Sept. 2, 1971, must have successfully completed a Hunter Education Training Course. Texas accepts courses from every state and Canadian province.
Other states and some federal hunting areas require Hunter Education regardless of your date of birth.
- Please arrive at the classroom before the beginning of class. Students who are under the age of 17 must have their forms signed by a parent.
- The class fee is $15. Due to TPWD rules we can only accept cash. No checks or plastic, please.
- The class will end at the specified time. If you pick up your student, please do so promptly.
- Feel free to bring your own beverages. (Non-alcoholic, of course.)
- Smoking is not permitted in the classroom.
- Bring notepaper and pen or pencil. Registration forms will have to be filled out in pencil.
We encourage participation by the physically or educationally challenged. Please request assistance if it will help you with the training.